Cyclist runs for his life after electric bike explodes in a fireball under his bum
A CYCLIST ran for his life when his electric bike exploded in a fireball under his bum.
The lithium battery burned for half an hour as explosions sent shrapnel whizzing through the air.
A pedestrian cycles past the burning bike as it lay on the floor in flames
Onlookers dialled 999 and a fire crew arrived to put out the blaze, then checked rooftops for smouldering embers.
Peter Taylor, 57, was drinking in The Royal Standard pub in Wandsworth, south London, when the cyclist went past on Friday evening.
The hedge fund boss, from Fulham, said: “There was smoke and flames coming from this pushbike under the rider. He hopped off, dumped the machine and sprinted to safety.
The state of the electric bike after caught on fire
Flames engulf the bike as it lays in the middle of the street after randomly setting on fire
“We couldn’t believe how big the fire was.
“Flames were shooting into the air and there was popping and banging, like a fireworks display.
“Some of the exploded battery parts hit parked cars. Someone from The Alma pub down the road got a fire extinguisher but the blaze refused to go out. Eventually the fire brigade turned up.
The blaze was likened to a ‘fireball’ by onlookers
The bike’s battery burned for half-an-hour amid a series of explosions that sent shrapnel through the air
Parts of the bicycle were left blackened as a result of the flames
The remains of the battery which caught alight
A pedestrian looks over to the burning peddle bike left to the side of the road
A large cloud of smoke can be seen from a nearby shop window
“They even put ladders on rooftops to check for battery remnants.
“The rider — he was in his 30s — wasn’t hurt.”
Experts said the bike had been fitted with an electric conversion kit available online for around £140 that can reach speeds of 28mph.